Community Organizations and Programs
- Columbia National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP)—Contact: Mary Ratliff, president, Columbia 018, Austin B, Columbia, MO 65201
- League of Women Voters—The League of Women Voters is a nonpartisan political organization that encourages informed and active participation in government, works to increase understanding
- Minority Men's Network—Contact: Steve Calloway, president, at CallowayS@missouri.edu.
- True North—An emergency shelter providing immediate safety and services for victims of domestic and sexual violence. Twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week, confidentially and anonymously.
- Friends of China—A community-wide non-profit organization promoting educational, economic and cultural relations between Columbia, Mo. and Laoshan, China (a sister city affiliate).
Persons with Disabilities Community
- Access Arts—A teaching program offering quality experiences in the arts with accessibility to people of all ages, origin, background, with an emphasis on low income and disabled populations.
- City of Columbia ADA Coordinator—Provides comprehensive civil rights protections to individuals with disabilities in the areas of employment, state and local government services, public accommodations, transportation, and telecommunications
- City of Columbia Disabilities Commission—Duties include holding public hearings to consider the concerns of residents with disabilities, advising the City Council as necessary and reviewing or monitoring accessibility of public and private facilities and educating the business community, civic groups and the public as to the concerns of residents with disabilities.
- Columbia Paratransit—Keeping Columbia MO "On the Go" with safe, reliable and timely transportation!
- Disabilities Forum of Columbia—An opportunity to enhance connections between elected officials and persons living with disabilities in Columbia, Mo.
- Great Plains ADA Center—Provides accurate, quality, confidential services on the ADA and related disability laws.
- Services for Independent Living—Provides Assistance for people with disabilities to live as independently as possible, to control their own lives, and to increase opportunities and choices through direct services and community advocacy.
- La Hora Latina Radio Show (KOPN 89.5FM)—A local all-Spanish call-in radio show featuring Latin music.
- Centro Latino—Provides health, education and legal information and services to assist latinos who are new to mid-Missouri.
Human Rights Organizations
- Central Missouri Stop Human Trafficking Coalition— A multi-sector coalition committed ending and preventing forced labor and sexual exploitation of innocent children, women, and men. CMSHTC identifies victims, exposes traffickers and users, promotes slave-free practices, and supports survivors of human trafficking on their journey toward wholeness.
- Mid-Missouri Peaceworks—A non-profit, grassroots organization focused on creating an ecologically sound, sustainable word and a violence-free community in which human equality and justice can flourish.
- Columbia/Boone County Department of Public Health and Human Services—The City of Columbia is committed to providing public health services that prevent epidemics and the spread of disease, protect against environmental hazards, promote healthy behaviors, prevent injuries and illness, assure the quality and accessibility of health services, monitor the health of the population, provide social services and promote and protect civil rights.
Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Questioning and Ally Community
- The Center Project—A non-profit organization that serves as a safe space for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, questioning and allies. The Center Project coordinates many support groups including groups for bisexual community members, parents of LGBTQ kids, and LBGTQ professionals as well as social groups for travel, books, and vegetarian cooking. The center also hosts a 1,000 volume social justice library.
- Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG)—A support and advocacy group for allies.
- Mid-Missouri Pride Fest— An annual celebration of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, questioning and ally community in Mid-Missouri.