LEARN ABOUT DIVERSITY
10 Ways to Expand Your Horizons in Columbia, Missouri
- Connect with the community and get out of your comfort zone: walk through a different neighborhood and visit a unique local market. Visit one of Columbia's international markets.
- Give your taste buds a vacation: skip the food chains and try a local ethnic restaurant. Check out this list of Columbia restaurants.
- Interact with people from different backgrounds and cultures by becoming a language partner.
- Read a book about a different person, culture, country and/or experience. Check out the MizzouDiversity book recommendations.
- Help make a difference by volunteering: connect with a local organization. See our list of community organizations.
- Listen to local, regional, international, or a different genre of music. Check out these free online international radio stations or stop by your local library for free tunes.
- Host your own international film festival: rent movies from around the world and learn about different cultures and experiences through film. MU Library Collection has many foreign films for free at or visit the Columbia Public Library website.
- Explore your heritage, family history and personal cultural world view. Daniel Boone Regional Library offers free access to several genealogy databases or check out Cyndi’s List to get started.
- Visit a local museum or cultural center such as the MU Museum of Anthropology, MU Museum of Art and Archaeology, or the Missouri State Museum in the Missouri Capitol building, Jefferson City, Missouri.
- Challenge yourself to learn 10 new words in another language. Try Transparent Language Online from Daniel Boone Regional Library or Learn A Language.