As you know, everyone here at the University of Missouri is deeply committed to the principles and practices of ensuring our university is inclusive, diverse and supportive of all faculty, staff, students and guests. The ongoing efforts the university makes to achieve the Inclusive Excellence framework are central to our core missions of teaching, research and service.
Today, I am announcing the beginning of a nationwide search for our next Vice Chancellor for Inclusion, Diversity & Equity, who will lead these efforts in a visionary and collaborative way. The search will be guided by co-chairs Pat Okker, Dean of the College of Arts and Science, and Michael Middleton, professor emeritus, former MU deputy chancellor and UM System interim president.
I am pleased to announce the following individuals agreed to serve on the search committee:
- Pat Okker, Dean, College of Arts and Science
- Michael Middleton, Professor Emeritus, former MU Deputy Chancellor and UM System Interim President.
- Hannah Clampitt, Chair, Staff Advisory Council
- Chelsea Drake, Coordinator, Multicultural Center
- Praveen Edara, Professor and Interim Chair, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Patty Haberberger, Vice Chancellor, Human Resource Services
- Andy Hayes, Assistant Vice Chancellor for Civil Rights, Title IX and ADA
- Christine Holt, Chief of Staff and Interim Chief Diversity Officer, UM System
- Kierra Jones, President, Legion of Black Collegians
- Thomas Lambert, Professor, School of Law
- April Langley, Chair, Department of Black Studies
- Cristina Mislán, Assistant Professor, School of Journalism
- Jamille Palacios Rivera, Assistant Teaching Professor, CAFNR
- Clark Peters, Chair, Faculty Council
- Mohamed Shahin, Accessibility and Accommodations Specialist
- William Stackman, Vice Provost for Student Affairs
- Jennifer Sutterer, President, Missouri Students Association
- Ajay Vinzé, Dean, Trulaske College of Business
- Al Willsey, President, Graduate Professional Council
- Laine Young-Walker, Associate Dean for Student Programs, School of Medicine
I am confident that we will be able to generate a broad, high-quality pool of candidates from a national audience. I base that confidence on the tremendous support and reputation of MU as well as the efforts of our committee and in-house recruitment staff. Assisting the UM System Executive Recruitment team in this endeavor is executive search firm Isaacson, Miller.
I want to thank all of those who have already contributed valuable feedback, recommended committee members and who will continue to support our interim leadership.
Shared governance and stakeholder input will be key to this search. We will hold a search forum and other stakeholder listening sessions in the next few weeks. I look forward to expanded involvement from the entire campus community in these listening forums and I appreciate you being part of the process.
Alexander N. Cartwright, PhD