Emerging Leaders Conference
Saturday, June 24 – Tuesday, June 27
The Office of Academic Access & Leadership Development in collaboration with the Missouri Legislative Black Caucus, Inc, invites Missouri youth to participate in the annual Emerging Leaders Conference. This conference is divided into two parts — civic engagement and college access — and gives students an opportunity to build on their leadership skills.
The conference focuses on a range of activities:
- exploring community issues
- discussing diverse perspectives
- engaging in the legislative decision-making process,
- navigating the college-planning process
Eligibility for Participation
- Current high school student
- Missouri resident
- Charter bus transportation provided to/from the University of Missouri from three regions: Kansas City, St. Louis, and southeast Missouri (“bootheel”).
- Students in mid-Missouri area must have their own transportation to/from MU’s campus for the Summer 2023 conference.
Detailed information and logistics for transportation will be provided following acceptance to the program. Students should email emergingleadersIDE@missouri.edu with any questions.
- Saturday: Arrival & Check-In
- Sunday: Team-Building, Legislative Preparation
- Monday: Mock Legislative Sessions (Jefferson City)
- Tuesday: College Planning/Preparation, Departure
Application Timeline & Process
- Application opens Wednesday, March 15
- Priority deadline for applications is Wednesday, April 19, applications will continue to be accepted after priority deadline until capacity is filled
- Acceptance notifications begin on Monday, April 24
- Signed participation forms due mid-May
Online applications for the 2023 Emerging Leaders Conference are closed.
For a paper application to print, scan and return via e-mail, send request to emergingleadersIDE@missouri.edu