Men of Color, Honor and Ambition (MOCHA) is a one-year initiative open to all MU undergraduate students who identify as men and are between their second and fifth academic years of study, but is specifically designed through the lens of male students of color. Students will participate in a series of monthly workshops offered by faculty, staff and community leaders; foster a sense of community and bonding with each other and other male role models of color through social outings; and support their health awareness and development through their participation in wellness activities.
Within the online application, students will be asked to respond to the following prompts:
- Discuss an event that has had a significant impact on your life and/or your academics? (300 word minimum)
Within the context of the five foundational pillars of MOCHA (ambition, achievement, integrity, service, health and wellness) please respond to the following prompts: (300 word minimum)
- Why do you want to be in the MOCHA program?
- How would the MOCHA program benefit you?
- How would your participation benefit the MOCHA program?
Additionally, students will need to
- Upload a cover letter and resume (as a single Word document or PDF)
- Send the online reference form to be completed on your behalf by one faculty or staff member (MU preferred, but not required): https://bit.ly/facstaffreference
Applicants are encouraged to write and review their responses to the two essay questions, as well as their cover letter and resume, prior to beginning the online application.
MOCHA 2022-2023 application has closed.
MOCHA exists to provide personal, academic, cultural, social, professional and leadership development to undergraduate men at MU in an effort to positively impact academic success, increase retention and develop successful leaders of tomorrow, today.
MOCHA participants will achieve academic excellence, graduate from college and be empowered to become successful leaders and role models in their respective careers and communities. These men will be actively engaged in the University of Missouri campus and the surrounding community, and will forever be committed to achieving in every phase of human endeavor.
- Increase the retention rates of men of color.
- Foster a sense of community among participants.
- Support and challenge men of color to achieve academic excellence.
- Develop an increased awareness surrounding business acumen, etiquette, professional attire, academic support mechanisms and various social activities.
The five pillars of MOCHA
- Health and Wellness
- Be an undergraduate between the second and fifth academic years of study at MU.
- Have a GPA of 2.5 (minimum) or above.
- Make a personal commitment to both attendance and academic excellence.
In addition, a personal statement and unofficial transcript are required as part of the application.
Applicants must pledge to attend no less than 80% of MOCHA events, if accepted into the program.
Applicants must pledge to strive for a 3.0 GPA or better during their year of participation, if accepted into MOCHA.
Answers to many questions regarding the MOCHA program can be accessed in the frequently asked questions section below. If you have questions or concerns regarding your application, please email us at email@example.com.
Frequently asked questions
What can students gain from MOCHA?
MOCHA is dedicated to providing the tools necessary for the development of successful leaders. This initiative will create an environment dedicated to growth and leadership by providing mentorship and life changing experiences, with the goal of equipping participants with the necessary tools for personal, professional and academic success
Through the monthly workshops, students will develop a set of core competencies. These competencies include ambition (e.g. perseverance and career ambition), achievement (e.g. priority setting and time management), integrity (e.g. ethics and values), service and health and wellness (e.g. work/life balance and conflict management).
Beyond skill development, students will gain a cohort of peers and receive mentorship from various community leaders. MOCHA members who complete the program and meet the programmatic goals will receive a personally tailored suit and shirt at the end of the program to observe their achievement.
Is there anything needed beyond the eligibility requirements listed above and on the application?
Eligibility requirements listed on the application include:
- A grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 (minimum);
- A personal commitment to attending no less than 80% of MOCHA’s workshops (includes course and community service activities), health and wellness activities and social gatherings;
- A personal commitment to strive for a 3.0 GPA or better during the year of participation in MOCHA. We like to call it our “3.0 Pledge;” and
- A personal statement of 500 words (maximum) regarding the importance of MOCHA’s foundational pillars to your personal, professional and academic leadership development.
Beyond these requirements, students should:
- Demonstrate high academic performance;
- Provide leadership to units with a significant impact on services and resources of the university;
- Demonstrate interest in personal and professional development;
- Have the ability to attend all sessions and activities of the program; and
- Be willing to serve as a “peer coach” to others in the program.
What happens after a student applies?
After the application period closes, students will be notified of their selection within the communicate timeline.
What will participation in the program cost students?
In an effort to ensure equitable and inclusive membership, MOCHA membership will come at no cost to the student. All travel and accommodations will be incorporated into the MU Office of Access & Leadership Development budget.
Where will monthly workshops be held?
In an effort to accommodate students, there will be four weekend seminars; the schedule for these seminars will be released at a later date. During the months that there are no weekend seminars, participants will be expected to attend monthly in-person or virtual meetings.
When will the schedule of workshops be available?
Dates and times for the upcoming academic year of MOCHA workshops will be distributed to potential participants at or prior to the orientation for selected students. When finalized, the schedule will be posted online.
How does MOCHA benefit the University of Missouri?
MOCHA will work to increase access and success for historically underrepresented/underserved populations; this outcome aligns with the Inclusive Excellence Framework, a framework designed to help the university incorporate diversity efforts into the core of its function, so MU students can be served by the educational benefits of diversity.
In the short term, MOCHA benefits the campus and the broader community as participants engage in campus and community service, one of the five pillars of MOCHA. In the long term, participants will use the skills and values they developed through their participation in MOCHA to positively impact their respective careers and communities.